Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fijian Tattoo..to tat or not to tat - that is the question...

While reading up on all things Fiji I ran across the story of how the tattoo came to Samao.  It is said that tattoo originated in Fiji but only the women were tattooed very little and the men not at all. Two women who were goddesses of tattoo swam to Samao to implement the art there. When the were leaving they got an order to sing the whole trip "Tattoo the dames but not the guys." During the long journey they got the song confused and started singing "Tattoo the guys and not the dames." So the men of Samao got the famous tribal tattoos from Fiji.
I am thinking of getting a tattoo of a fish or a turtle while in Fiji as my fortieth year rite of passage and the symbol of my passing into a new era of Alesha. Why the turtle?  Within Polynesian and Hawaiian cultures, the turtle represents calmness and tranquility. In other cultures, the turtle can symbolize bravery, endurance, wisdom, perseverance, safety, or longevity.  Why the fish?  Within ancient times the fish was the symbol of femininity, fertility, female sexuality and power.  Also the the fish in some cultures represents endurance, abundance, perseverance, and to declare an affiliation with the Christian Faith.  When ever I see the fish I think of the sermon on the mount when Jesus fed the masses from a boys lunch of fish and loaves. This makes me feel that if you have faith and can believe in things unseen but felt you can do anything.  Now thinking about it further I may just get both.



What do you all think?  

On the baby-making front I am so, so, so, so, so confused.  So many people making suggestions, so many offers that need vetting, and a lot of thinking to do.  Relationships to end or begin. Love to make or to end. Ugh. I just want to be pregnant without a ton of other issues.  I am going to take it back to when I was a teen and just say - whatever happens, happens.  

Peace and pregnancy.

1 comment:

  1. Bula! I was also thinking of getting a tattoo of the turtle and it was nice to know what it all represents. I hope you had gotten the tattoo! It seems like a great idea and I can't wait to get mine!

    ReplyDelete